Hey, we’re a closet organizer and custom storage company. . . So, maybe it’s about time for us to share some tips on how to keep your closet contents neat and tidy. And also to share what benefits you can reap from doing so!
Some of the organizing tips are obviously “common sense” items, and others may be an “ah ha” moment for you. But, all of these are simple solutions that if done on a regular basis will garner a much neater looking closet. And hopefully, many of the other benefits mentioned below as well.
Give this post a quick read and let us know what you think. Did we miss a great tip that works for you that you would like to share with us?
Hangers: So simple, it almost sounds absurd. If you use the same style and size hanger for all of your clothing items, your closet will instantly look so much neater. Even with all the same items in it as before!
- Fold, never hang, sweaters and knits; and avoid squashing shelf items.
- Everyday shoes can go on lower shelves. Special occasion shoes should be boxed, labeled, and stored on higher shelves.
- Store purses flat and stuffed with tissue to retain their shape. If you haven’t used a purse in 2 years, give it away.
- Store scarves neatly folded on an eye-level shelf for easy selection. Or, hang them on the pegs of a retractable tie rack.
- Rotate “stock” — as you add new items, discard under used clothes.
- Eliminate wasted space — dress for the body you have now rather than having clothes in your closets that are not being functional. This allows room for everything else to be visible and easy to access.
- Smaller stacks of folded items look neater and won’t topple over like larger stacks will.
Savings: Even though you may need to invest in new hangers or organizing items, you probably won’t need to buy new clothes. You will be surprised at what you find once everything is organized!
Peace of mind: For you, the peace will come in knowing where everything is, being able to easily find things, and having a much neater collection of clothes to look at. As potential buyers visit whenever you decide to sell your home, they will be able to see how much space your home offers. They also won’t be turned off by a mess, or worse, by whatever you might be hiding under that mess!
Space Benefits: We’re thinking you will be quite surprised at how much more room you have once your closet is organized.
More time: Since you no longer have to spend so much time looking for things, you’ll have more time for things you actually enjoy!
More relaxed: An organized closet is less chaotic, so you will no longer be changing your wardrobe at the last minute because you can’t find something.
Clutter is anything that gets in the way, physically and emotionally, in your daily life. No matter who you are, there is a lot to be gained from getting organized. Being in control of your stuff, not your stuff being in control of you, is important to happiness, time management and our overall daily functioning.
When the task is done and everything in your closet has a place and a purpose, how do you keep it that way? Enforce a little discipline upon yourself, and spend 10 minutes a day to maintain order. (Just like a diet, if you revert back to your old habits, the weight will come right back!)
Are you thinking, “Maybe my closets aren’t that messy? Maybe I’m more organized than I give myself credit for?” Then try out our CLUTTER QUIZ and see. Maybe your next move will be to give us a call . . . 🙂
Related Posts: Organizing Tips, Clear away your clutter, Is it time to call in the Pros?
Related Links: What’s your challenge?, How can we help you?